Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Unforgivable?

I was at work the other night and I came across this very well written article on ESPN.com.  To make a long story short...this guy named Tony Washington is having a hard time making it to the NFL, not because he lacks the physical abilities, but because he is a registered sex offender.  Mr. Washington had a rough childhood (absentee parents, moved frequently, rough neighborhood, etc.)...and made a horrible choice when he had consensual sex with his biological sister.  So now teams are very scared to sign him...because of the media circus that would follow the team, which is completely understandable.  One of my co-workers has a very different opinion that I do about Mr. Washington's current situation.  He think that he's a total pervert that shouldn't have a chance to do anything, let alone play in the NFL.  I see it a little differently, but let me start off by saying this:  I think incest is sick, foul, and just bad (couldn't think of any other adjectives).  But there have been instances where current NFL players have done worse (in my opinion) and have come back to play on Sundays.  Leonard Little and Donte' Stallworth killed men while drunk driving, served less jail time (sidenote: this may show my ignorance to the topic, but I honestly did not know that incest was illegal until I read this article) and came back to play.  Mike Vick (who I still support) bank rolled a criminal enterprise...hell Ben Roethelisburger was accused of rape twice and he's gonna come back this season.  If America is supposed to be the land of second chances, and you let these guys have them...then why not let Tony Washington come in?  I don't like it when people write off people from troubled backgrounds for doing wrong...it's very easy for us to say they shouldn't have done it when we came from a stable household.  The only way we found out something was wrong was when someone told/showed us.  I hope Mr. Washington finds his way onto a NFL roster...he's already paid enough.

-Dub

No comments:

Post a Comment