Sunday, March 20, 2011

Real Inspiration


I saw this on ESPN this week and thought I was seeing things.  Anthony Robles (pictured in maroon above) is a wrestler attending Arizona State University. If you look closely you should notice that's he's missing a leg...he was born missing his left leg below the pelvis. Seems like a normal story about determination right? Here's the kicker: he's actually good. This weekend he won the NCAA wrestling title in his weight class. If you're expecting me to make some clever statement about a one legged wrestler winning the title against two legged competition (he was the #1 seed in his weight class) I'm actually going to pass this time. There are not too many times when I can say I was actually inspired or moved by something I see in the news. But this guy has one leg and said "f*ck it! I'm gonna wrestle!" And then when he was getting better in high school he was like "I'm gonna go to college and win a title." Think about all the jokes he heard at tournaments...or people that probably told him he wouldn't stand a chance because he's down a leg. He put all that to the side and kept moving and achieved one of his goals. If that's not the epitome of determination then I don't know what is. Next time you're getting down about a project at work or you're up late working on a paper just think about Mr. Robles and all of the hurdles he had to clear to reach the pinnacle of his sport at the collegiate level.

-Dub

No comments:

Post a Comment