Friday, November 4, 2011

The Sissification of Today's Youth



I try to temper my comments on today's youth because I don't have kids and, in a lot of ways, I'm still a kid myself.  But with that being said, the stuff I hear coming out of today's elementary/middle/high schools is really making me believe that the next generation is going to be whiny, lazy sissies that get upset with things don't go their way.  Youth/amateur sports are where many young people gain many transferable life skills, such as perseverance, team work, and how to develop a strong work ethic.  This is where me and my brother (along with other family members of mine) learned these skills, so when I hear stories about diabolical helicopter parents interfering with this crucial crucible of learning I can't help but feel a certain kind of way about that.

...which brings me to this story I came across today.  A high school soccer team in Maryland is having their season cancelled by the school's administrators for a celebratory dance.  Yes...a damn dance.  Apparently the soccer team is on the playoffs and won a close game against a rival.  To celebrate they did The Bernie, from the 80's movie about the cats carrying around the dead dude all weekend.  Well apparently some punk ass parents from the other team took issue with the celebration and complained to the school's principal.  Because the principal found this act to be in poor taste, they thought it best to cancel their season, I guess not to piss off any more families.  Um...what?? Because some parents were mad that their precious soccer player lost a game and the other team was happy about it, that's ground to complain.  Look, I've been on the other side of close (and not so close) losses where the other team acted up when they won.  We were mad...not because they were happy they won (you should be) but because we let them lose.  Moral of the story?  If you don't want them dancing, don't let them win.  Those are probably the same kind of parents that give participation trophies out (newsflash-not every kid on the team should get a trophy...some kids suck.  It's life...if they can't deal with not getting a trophy, try dealing with not getting a job after college) and want their kids to go to schools where they don't give failing grades (so the kids won't get discouraged *blank stare*).  Maybe I'm being too harsh...I can see of it was an over the top T.O/Chad Johnson style dance.  But The Bernie? Give me a break...tell that kid to brush themselves off when they get knocked down.  Fall down 7 times, get up 8.

-Dub

No comments:

Post a Comment