Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Later...


So today marks the 10 year anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks, a day that no one will ever be able to (or should) forget.  It's funny how people of my parents' generation can still remember where they were then JFK was killed, becuase I'm the exact same way with 9/11.  I was a 13 year old high school freshman walking from 1st period Geomotry to 2nd period Biology when I heard some commotion in the hallway about a plane flying in to the World Trade Center.  I jetted down to the class room and saw the picture of that tower burning.  My teacher (who apparently didn't understand the gravity of the situation) made us turn the TV off and gave us all an assignment to finish.  We all burned through that worksheet, just to have her turn the TV on and see that a second plane had hit the WTC and another hit the Pentagon.  The rest of the day was a fog...every class that day had the TVs on...class work didn't matter because we were all scared out of our minds.  I'll never forget in 3rd period (after we had learned of the 4th plane that crashed in PA) there was a girl that had did some numerology or something to try to guess where the subsequent attacks would be.  EVERYONE in the class thought she was The Oracle or something...we were all circled around her desk.  They made us turn it off when i was in 5th period but that didn't matter...everyone's brain was stuck on the images from the news.  My parents weren't home when I got home from school...that didn't help at all.  I just remember this intense feeling of fear and anxiety...not even going to lie the memory of that feeling shakes me to this day.  I'll never forget the images of people just jumping from the windows and their bodies just falling...or the screams of sheer terror when they showed amateur video of the planes crashing.  The world was changed when those towers fell...

...with all of those memories getting rehashed today is honestly a little hard.  I'll never be able to stop thinking of the people that couldn't get out and the sense of helplessness they undoubtedly felt.  The Flight 93 movie came on and I couldn't watch it...it was too real for me.  There are a lot of programs about the the day's events from many different points of view....I'm really interested to see how these come out so I can see how it affected different people.  I thought the ceremonies and the monuments were done well...I hope the concert is a joyous event in honor of all who were lost.  What I don't want to happen is a new wave of ani-Muslim sentiment...ALL Americans, including Muslims, died and/or were affected by the attacks.  Not all Muslims are crazy enough to fly a plane into a building...as a matter of fact most Muslims are digusted by those who carried out these heinous acts.  Let's stop with all this Muslim hate garbage...if I hear/see someone say they're gonna slap one with some bacon it'll be too damn soon.  So for those who read this:  let this be a day of rememberance, a celebration of life, and a time for all Americans to come together.  That's exactly what those who died would have wanted.

-Dub

No comments:

Post a Comment