Sunday, February 27, 2011

Black History Month Wrap-Up

Before I start: big ups to Google for finally developing an official Blogger app for Android. Now I'll finally be able to post when I'm out and about and get inspired by one of the ignant muses.


We're almost into the month of March, so that means we're just about through with another Black History Month. Maybe this is just me but I feel like this one has been rather...um...unsuccessful. Not that any of them have been landmark but this one has seemed extra bland. Other than the usual quotes by black leaders posted on Facebook/Twitter, the normal salty messages by closet racists, and the barrage of McDonald's commercials for Black 365 (which only seem to come on in February o_O), there's only one thing that I'll take from BHM '11: the failure of black America to eliminate the ignant triumvirate. The trio I'm referring to is Flavor Flav, Antoine Dodson, and Waka Flocka....why are these cats still alive man? Black America CAN NOT move forward if they're being used to represent us as a whole...I don't give a damn who is the President. I'm not gonna lie, I listen to Waka when I'm playing Call of Duty but when little kids think it's cool to ad lib gun shots and talking gangs...I have to draw the line. I'm too proud of a black man for people to tell me to hid my kids and hide my wife...I'm gonna spaz the hell out next time that happens. And I NEVER thought I'd live to see Flav's Fried Chicken...the old me would have blown his brains out just at the mere thought. We need to hire some high level ninjas for some black ops next year...straight assassin style. 
Ok...I'm kidding (partially) but it is time for us to wake up and put an end to the proliferation of negative stereotypes so prevalent in the media today. The simplest and most effective thing we can do? Stop supporting them financially...the profit motive is the only reason stuff gets done in a capitalist economy. If you want labels to stop putting out bad music paraded as new hip hop? Stop buying the music. Tired of the same buffoon comedians? Stop watching and supporting the sponsors, going to their shows, and watching these lackluster sitcoms/movies (and yes, I'm looking at you Tyler Perry). If there was a mainstream demand for Lupe Fiasco rather than Soulja Boy then you'd see more promotion for "Lasers" than the nothing that Lupe is getting now. Gotta change something...or at least Chuck D needs to slap Flav HARD. Then I'd feel better.

And before I go...had a Beneath Tha Beat gathering with the other members of the collective. I'm making an attempt to come back from my grown man hiatus and contribute more...so...ya boy is coming out with a podcast for your listening pleasure. Definitely going to take my time and do it right...I'll keep you all updated.

-Dub

No comments:

Post a Comment