Thursday, October 21, 2010

When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong-Juan Williams



Columnist and (now former) NPR personality Juan Williams is in hot water after some comments made the other day on Fox News.  I always characterized Williams as the only guy that had some sense on Fox News...guess I'll have to take that back now.  On The O'Reily Factor (SN:  FUCK BILL O'REILY!! Sorry..had to get that off my chest) Williams made a comment about Muslims on planes...the video contains the inflammatory comments.

A couple of thoughts...for starters, whenever someone has to preface their statement with "I'm not *insert prejudiced stance* but..."...that means "Hey I'm about say something that you should judge me on, but don't."  Just because you've written books about the Civil Rights Movement doesn't give you a free pass to bash another group of people Mr. Williams.  But more importantly, I'm not scared of the person in the Muslim garb on the plane...I'm scared of the dude with the box cutter or knife trying to hijack the plane.  He can be of any race or religion...I'm going after the guy that's trying do harm to me period.  A truck full of country white boys scares me as much as a group of thugs walking up to me in an unfamiliar neighborhood...not because I'm a racist or an Uncle Ruckus, but because I have survival instincts.  A young Arabic man in traditional Muslim garb doesn't scare me unless he's holding an RPG.  I really hate the way that Muslims are targeted in post 9-11 America...not only because of the the racists venom that's being spread but because I'm so afraid that there's gonna be a situation where there's an attack perpetrated my people that don't look like the "traditional terrorists".

-Dub

No comments:

Post a Comment