Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Well...He Might Be On To Something...

I first want to start off by saying this:  I do not condone the treatment of women as if they are objects or in any manner that dehumanizes them.  My thoughts are the truth as I see it...suffice it to say this: don't judge me.

A major firestorm going on in the NFL is about what happened in the NY Jets locker room last week.  TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz was interviewing Mark Sanchez (who is of Mexican heritage) in the locker room when she was apparently harassed by some of the other players in the locker room.  Cat calls, comments...all the things that (realistically) can be expected from a room full of athletes that just got finished with a practice.  Woman's rights groups, female journalists, and the media as whole went into a mini-frenzy about women's rights and how the female reporter-naked male athletes dymanic should be in the locker room.  When Clinton Portis (who is more known for crazy outfits like this and this) was asked about this situation, he gave a real answer:


"I think you put women reporters in the locker room in position to see guys walking around naked, and you sit in the locker room with 53 guys, and all of the sudden you see a nice woman in the locker room. I think men are going to tend to turn and look and want to say something to that woman

And I mean, you put a woman and you give her a choice of 53 athletes, somebody got to be appealing to her. You know, somebody got to spark her interest, or she's gonna want somebody. I don't know what kind of woman won't, if you get to go and look at 53 men's packages. And you're just sitting here, saying 'Oh, none of this is attractive to me.' I know you're doing a job, but at the same time, the same way I'm gonna cut my eye if I see somebody worth talking to, I'm sure they do the same thing."

As a public figure, there's no way you can say that publicly.  It's not a good look for a PR standpoint...and it comes across as ignorant and chauvinistic.  But since I'm not a professional athlete, I can keep it 100:  nothing in that statement is false.  Of course she's not going to be looking for a hot date or a hook up, but you would be naive to think that she didn't have any thoughts the guys in that locker room.  And on the flip side...she's a reporter that has been known to market herself in a sexual manner.  Even to be more simple than that...she's sexy as hell.  I work at a call center...and if she came in and walked around I'm saying something about her.  You can't market yourself as a sex symbol but get mad when people look at you in a sexual manner.  To reiterate:  I do not think that the Jets' players appropriately or Portis' comments should have been made..but he has a point.


-Dub

No comments:

Post a Comment